Friday 15 October 2010

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Ok, I'm Getting Tingles...


I don't know where to start about this film. Seriously, words escape me. I watched Scott Pilgrim vs The World on the day of it's premiere and I was blown away. Even with the incredibly high expectations I had. It's made it's way into my Top Films Of All Time List, and I think it's position there is as safe as the breath-taking Amelie or the mind-boggling The Usual Suspects.

I feel I could leave the review there, with my feelings on the matter expressed and there being no need to continue, but I can't help myself but carry on. I truly apologise in advance for the amount of gushing I will do about this film.

The film depicts the 'perfect little life' of Scott Pilgrim (Michael Cera, oddly playing a geeky guy falling in love). He falls for quirky Ramona Flowers (Mary Elizabeth Winstead), but to date her, he must first defeat the League of Evil Ex's; seven of Ramona's evil past loves, hell-bent on destroying Scott's chances with the girl of his dreams.

Just from the opening production titles of Universal, which have been changed to be of computer-game quality, fully fitted with tinny computer-game music, I knew this film was going to be special. I don't think I stopped smiling throughout the first fourty minutes. Then I took a sip of drink. Then I continued to smile for the sixty.

It's funny,
it's charming,
it's snappy,
it's edgy,
it's clever,
it's witty,
it's well-written,
it's well-acted,
it's well-crafted.

It may be the most carefully constructed and edited film I've ever seen, and is obviously the brainchild of the man behind the TV series Spaced, Edgar Wright. The attention-to-detail is staggering and incredibly dedicative. The whole film can be watched again and again, with new references or background features noticed everytime.

Whilst I fawn over the film like a teenage Bieber-ite, the film does have it's faults. I can see many people's argument in that the film's high tempo and fast pacing can alienate most of the older audiences. It is a very youth-orientated film, and Wright's attempt to get as many references to the comic-book and pop culture can sometimes result in a confusing narrative, and make the characters slightly unrealistic or unlikeable.

However, whether you like it or not, you cannot argue against it being one of the most original and genre-breaking films of the past few years. It is heart-breaking to think that due to the poor box-office returns that it has received so far, the companies that finance such groundbreaking films will be more hesitant to back a film like this in the future. That is why I urge all you reading this to go out and pay money to watch it if you still can. You will not be disappointed and you will be contributing to the possible creation of more masterpieces like Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

Rating - 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment