Sunday 7 April 2013

Gangster Squad

---------------------------
**NOTE** 

Hey guys, thanks for coming to my blog to read this, my first written review in over a year.  In the beginning of 2012, I tried branching out into video reviews and uploaded several to YouTube, but complications with my workplace meant I had to stop reviewing until I left there late last year.  Now I'm currently struggling in creating my own website, rather than using this blog to share my opinions on this year's film releases.  But since it's taking me a while to get any traction with it, I felt like I could still write my reviews on the blog until the site's ready.  So here we are.  

Please enjoy, and I apologise for how late these reviews are, but I've got a few stored up that I'd like to share.

---------------------------

as empty as Nick Nolte's fridge...

My experience with gangster films hasn't been vast. Apart from the classic mafia films such as The Godfather trilogy and Goodfellas, I'm not that well versed. 
'Cops vs. Gangsters' films were introduced to me by L.A. Confidential, a slick and stylish film noir that showed me how a crime film could look visually stunning amazing whilst still having an interesting mystery running throughout. This first taste led me to gritty crime dramas such as Roman Polanski's Chinatown which helped propel Jack Nicholson to limelight, and the true story of the takedown of Al Capone in Brian De Palma's The Untouchables.

As I watched these films, I began to notice similarities and difference between certain types of gangster movies. Whilst Chinatown and The Untouchables focussed on the gritty crime and injustice underpinning the storyline, conversely LA Confidential centred on portraying the atmosphere, fashion and style of 1950s Los Angeles, as it was not really based in reality but of a fictionalised LA, found in pulp fiction novels. In between these styles of gangster films, we find one of 2013's earliest releases: Gangster Squad.

Set in the late 1940s, the men of Los Angeles are still recovering from the end of the Second World War.  Honest policemen like Josh Brolin and walking-smoulder Ryan Gosling are trying to reacquaint themselves back to the homeland and the ex-boxer-turned-gangster Mickey Cohen, played by Sean Penn, is slowly establishing a crime syndicate in Los Angeles.

To fight him, the gigantic bear of a police chief, played by Nick Nolte, puts Brolin in charge of an elite crime-fighting squad with the objective of taking Cohen's empire down. Think The Avengers but with tommy-guns and coquettishly-worn trilby hats. They start using violent means to fulfil their task, but obviously Cohen doesn't take kindly to anybody getting in his way.

Like I mentioned earlier, the way I see gangster films is that they are either the gritty 'law must survive' films, or the suave 'good guys wear trilbys, bad guys wear pinstripe suits'.  The problem with Gangster Squad is that it was trying to be LA Untouchafellas... or Good China Confidential.   It wants to showcase the tension and anguish of the reality of 1950s Los Angeles, but also show how classy and sophisticated it was at the time.

That might be admirable of the relatively-new director Ruben Fleischer, but unfortunately the experiment doesn't seem to work; the film juxtaposes the real-life scenario of underdog cops fighting for what's right against a maniacal gangster's empire, whilst all the time having a glossy sheen of a fictional Los Angeles. A scene where Ryan Gosling swoons and smoulders across his screen, entirely for the ladies in the audience, is followed by a torture sequence where Penn kills an informant with a drill into his forehead. Trust me, no amount of Gosling in your film will keep your women smiling after a grisly scene like that.

The film doesn't give these real-life heroes any real screen time or interaction to establish their characters fully, only giving brief clichéd glimpses into their home and work lives and leaving the rest up to you. Brolin's got a wife who's having a baby and waits up all night worried about when he will come home, Gosling is just a womaniser who foolishly sets his sights on the local kingpin's girlfriend, played by the wasted talent of Emma Stone, the ever-supporting Giovanni Ribisi has a wife and kids therefore doesn't want to get involved with such people, but does anyway because of what's right. It desperately lacks inspiration.

If your aim is to watch an visually interesting and still mysterious crime film, there are much better examples out there then Gangster Squad. Usually anything from Al Pacino or Robert de Niro's early film career.  So please stick to those fantastic films and don't waste your money with Gangster Squad.   It'll leave you feeling as empty and drained as Nick Nolte's fridge.

Rating - 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment