Friday 5 July 2013

Top Five Friday - Best and Worst Of 2013 (So Far...)

So here we are. Six months of films have passed us by, and whilst I haven't been able to see all the films that have been released, I'm quite certain of the best and worst five films that I have seen so far this year. Without any ado, let's get to the fifth worst film of the year.


5. The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

The premise of Steve Carell playing a flamboyant Las Vegas magician had some potential for laughs, and the inclusion of solid comic actors such as Steve Buscemi and Jim Carrey only increased the likelihood of this doing the trick. But somehow, they managed to pull a stinker out of the hat. The film ditches original story-lines and character arcs for the fish-out-of-water awkward comedy, twinned with emotional retribution schlock. Carrey and Buscemi are wasted as two-dimensional bit players, whilst the film focuses on Wonderstone's frankly infeasible relationship with the also underused Olivia Wilde. Film-makers! Never put words like 'Incredible' in your film's title, it only makes it easier for us critics.

4. Olympus Has Fallen

Ahh the film that was pitched to the audiences, and most likely, the studio executives as “Die Hard in The White House”. If only Gerard Butler carried an ounce of John McClane's charm, swagger or personality. North Korea take over The White House and hold the American President hostage. Loud noises. Bullet battles. Lots of innocent casualites. I fell asleep. Just endless action sequences which quickly became stupid and pointless, twinned with bad lip-syncing, editing and special effects. Let's just hope White House Down does a better job since it is the exact same storyline except for the President's ethnicity.

3. 21 And Over

Sigh, this film. Billed as 'a teenage Hangover' (which to me was just the original Dude, Where's My Car?) and written by those that scripted The Hangover, the film follows two idiotic college freshmen who try to get their Asian friend home after he passes out celebrating his 21st birthday.  But, oops, they don't know where he lives! Cue endless montages of American frat parties, filled with mindless stereotypical jocks, nerds and stoners.  Oh and the minorities! Can't forget them!  The several stereotyped minorities that are strewn throughout this shambolic film make you feel like it's trying to acerbic and satirical, like the Harold and Kumar films, but instead they're just offensive.

2. The Hangover Part III

And from the imitation Hangover film to the sequel that no one expected, wanted, or asked for. Except movie studios, of course, trying to squeeze the last possible dollar out of a franchise. Now I liked the original Hangover film.  The solitary night through Las Vegas did have some unbelievable features, such as Mike Tyson's tiger, but Part III simply becomes ludicrous and insulting. Doing away with the 'lost-memory' format of the previous two instalments, the film fails to even feel like a part of it's own franchise. Both the cast and crew seemed to be coasting through it, even embarrassed by some of the stuff they are putting together and no-one on screen seems to be having a good time, character or actor. I will genuinely weep if The Hangover Part IV is greenlit. Don't break me, Hollywood!


And the Worst Film of 2013 So Far...


1. Scary Movie V

Good God, I honestly sat through this movie. I deserve a medal for that alone. I can't believe I did. It was just horrendously bad. It is a comedy, without jokes. A pastiche of horror/scary movies, where the main films parodied are Black Swan, Inception and Rise of the Planet of the Apes? So that's a trio of dramatic thrillers?  Topical.  Scary Movie V has people getting hit on the head by frying pans, people getting hit by buses, people farting; all the classic comic standards, and I loathed every single thing in this film. I cannot say anything more than this. Avoid this dross like the plague, it'll make you dumber for the experience. Plus it'll give Hollywood the hint that movies such as these earn so little money, that they will stop churning them out like production-line fake vomit.


Sigh. That vent was needed. Yet, a horrible reminder of some of the most boring and tedious times I've had to endure this year.  I need to cheer myself up and remind myself of how fantastic this year has been too. So let's go through my top five films of the year so far.

5. The Place Beyond The Pines

An almost-Greek tragedy drama following the lives of Ryan Gosling's amateur bank-robber, police officer-turned-politician Bradley Cooper and their impact on their families. I was a big fan of the director, Derek Cianfrance's previous film, Blue Valentine, and so was eager to see the next instalment of his and Gosling collaboration. Gosling is fast becoming one of my favourite low-key actors, where he manages to convey a lot of emotion by doing very little. Cooper also flexes his dramatic muscle, continuing to slowly become more than "That Handsome Hangover Guy". I did start to lose interest in the final third, but that shouldn't overshadow the fantastic preceding drama.  A must-see.

4. Hitchcock

I had a small amount of hesitation before watching the Alfred Hitchcock loose biopic, mainly due to films such as The Birds and Rear Window holding a special place in my memory. The initial images of Anthony Hopkins in a fat suit made me feel uneasy as I worried it would stumble into pastiche and mockery. But my fears were unfounded, as the film was a splendid mixture of black comedy and drama, all against the backdrop of Psycho's construction. Hopkins is superb playing Hitchcock, slowly morphing into the man before your eyes. It did stumble sometimes into melodrama, with Hitchcock's relationship with his wife slightly corny at times, but overall it is a must for film fans, as well as being easily enjoyable for normal non-nerds too.

3. Wreck-It Ralph

Disney's 52nd animated feature saw John C. Reilly voice the video-game villain Wreck-It Ralph, who simply wants to be the good guy for once. An honest, heartfelt comedy, reference-heavy with hundreds of video game jokes to keep the nerds (like me) entertained. Even though I felt that the film could have had a larger variety of video game worlds to explore, the relationships between the characters made up for it. Ralph begins a fatherly friendship with an outcast from a different video game, with that being the core of the film, and it successfully suited Disney's heart-tugging methods. Much more impressive than last year's Pixar film Brave. In my opinion, Pixar would have contributed much more gravitas and humour into the film, but Disney's version is more than enough exciting adventure for the family to enjoy.


2. Star Trek Into Darkness

Now I know I have already reviewed this film earlier this year, but I couldn't have my Top Five films of 2013 without mentioning it.  It is rare with Hollywood's current releases to find a film that not only is fantastic, but an improvement on it's predecessor! The 2009 reboot of the Star Trek franchise was a commercial and, surprisingly, critical hit that Into Darkness helped solidify.  Kirk and his loyal crew return to face a home-grown threat, found in the amazing and terrifying Benedict Cumberbatch.  With J.J. Abrams at the helm, inspired by greats such as Spielberg, my hopes are high for the Star Wars sequel that is next on Abrams' schedule.


And my favourite film of 2013 so far...




1. Stoker

Stoker recently had the reputation of being “one of the best unproduced screenplays going in Hollywood”. Written by Wentworth Miller (Michael Schofield from Prison Break fame), the film centres on the coming-of-age of a girl played by Mia Wasikowska. Her father tragically dies, bringing the sudden appearance of her charismatic Uncle Charlie. His arrival upsets the family balance, creating havoc in their once-peaceful world, as something is suspicious about Uncle Charlie.

This relatively-small independent film almost passed me by if it weren't for the director, Park Chan-wook. Chan-wook is a South Korean director, most famous for his 'Vengeance film trilogy' and is a personal favourite of mine. Stoker is his first English-language film and he certainly brings his stylistic eye to the visuals throughout the film. I was literally speechless at the end of Stoker; convinced I had seen a work of art, one I perhaps didn't fully understand. The film holds your attention throughout the film, with a sense of tension and intrigue that you cannot shake. You are captivated by the way Chan-wook utilises every aspect of the film, with plot-twists, gore, sexuality, humour and underlying dread throughout and I was just entranced from beginning to end. I cannot wait to watch this film again, and highly recommend you search it out. If it is not at the top of my list come December 31st, I will be impressed.

So there we have it! My favourite five films released this year so far, and those that I hope I never see again. Obviously there are hundreds of films to released in the coming months, so expect a lot to change on both lists before December ends. But do I have it wrong? Is there an awful movie that I missed out, or a classic that should be seen by everyone? Let me know and comment below.

Thanks for reading and I'll have a new list on my next Top Five Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment